
This section starts to look at the roof canopy at the restaurant (top) level. The support for the canopy comes up the facade of the building.

The section shows the entry vestibule. I made an attempt to try and tie the interior and exterior together with the entry covering. Unless the exterior plants can withstand the Boston winter, this has limited affectiveness.

This section shows the park zone (across the street and up the interior of the facade). I envisions greenery (shown on sections), furniture, paving and potentially water in these areas. Some two story spaces are intermingled to allow views vertically through the building. The skylight introduces natural light into the spaces.

Let me know what you think! I have started on the floor plans.

7 comments:
Scott,
Here are some quick comments as starters:
Detailed sections work nice, but it would be nice to eventually see the entire verical park at this level of detail. The vestibule could be more generous in height and I wonder if the idea of having overhangs with greenery ontop might be a reoccuring theme that structures the face in a linear and playful way.
You conceived the entire building as one volume: it is now a huge atrium. What are the effects on the program, owership of spaces? Is this intentional, or was this easier to conceive as a space?
Enno
I started to put the information you suggested on the 1/8" sections and then realized that I need to do the blow up ½” scale sections. The entire building height would be a 4 1/2 foot drawing at 1/2" scale. Hmmm, that seemed much taller when I was thinking about it last week. I agree with you on the vestibule height. The greenery seems to be overwhelmingly the biggest comment on my project. I think everyone is thinking it is about plantings and not about a square/park. I see the greenery as one aspect of the park (albeit a major aspect). The park has other amenities beside the greenery (i.e. paving, sitting areas, water, open spaces, etc.). Do you think I should concentrate solely on the greenery aspect? The escalators seem like an elegant way of experiencing the space up and down. The openness on the floors is an attempt to share the vertical park with the interior of the building as well providing natural light to the restaurant/art gallery at the top. These spaces will need to operate as one since they are so interconnected. Do you think this is an issue? I can easily separate as it once was. I think the current solution is much richer. I also have located an elevator in the corner which doesn’t show up on any of the sections (it does show up on my plans). I know that is our focus this week. This elevator focuses you back out to the square/park as well as views inside.
That’s all for now! Thanks for the comments!
Scott
Scot, I agree with you that the "vertical park" should be more than a trick of interior plantings. How you accomplish this is another matter entirely.
Perhaps you could look at using streetlights to define a path (up or down) or even plant them perpendicular to the face of the building (if the park is seen as wrapping the surface). They are an easily recognizable symbol and act as a visual cue that there is a continuity of the space between the interior and exterior.
Perhaps a slatted park bench is brought in and grafted sideways, becoming a bries soleil to a window beyond.
Have some fun with the space, you are looking at altering the normal perception of interior and exterior, why not alter the way you traditionally look at what an object is and how it works?
Scott,
- you dont need to take the 1/2" scale to show a section through the vertical park.
-such a drawing would be really a vertical street with access into the different levels with store, gallery, restaurant, etc. and could be juxtaposed with a plan of "regular" sidewalk/street.
- in other words: don't focus on the greenery aspect - it is really part of the larger issue of relating public to private space
- I wonder, if the escalators are at some point a barrier and block the vertical green space from the activities on the floors. Maybe a set of elevators combined with stairs could animate the vertical space and provide a better "address" of the retail function to your vertical street/park. Stair landings would be a good anchor for the other amenities that you mention.
Your images are nice. The first two are nicely annotated and I can see what you are trying to show. The larger building sections are a little unclear on how the program relates to the vertical park, each other or the circulation. Does the park-like setting have any different reaction with the technology store than it does with the restaurant? Maybe the escalator is not stacked and starts and ends at different points of the exterior allowing more use or interaction with the vertical park. I like Steve's idea of street lights to define your path. I think that could be a useful tool in showing the verticality as well. Your drawings are nicely done, as always. I look forward to your plans.
Very nice detail sections, they start to feel like a place I could enjoy to hang out, maybe listening to my Ipod while I have a beer and watch people at Copley SQ. In one of the overall sections you show escalators, they are all located within the same area. I was wondering if they have to be there in the middle of the building. Maybe they rotate around the building, you go up in one corner but you have to walk through the space before you take the second escalator to keep going up. Have you thought about switching to elevators, maybe a nice glass elevator would do, as you could get a similar effect as the escalators. Good Luck with the rest of the plans!
Hi all
Just found this site and thought it might be useful to chat to people who are trying to accomplish the same as me!
I spend too much of my life on the internet and look forward to chatting to you all and picking up and sharing ideas along the way!
Take care!
Post a Comment