Sunday, September 30, 2007

Studio Final: Research and Exploration

Program
This is an image of the program document for the vertical park/technology store. The program outlines many of the uses contained within the building including the vertical park, technology store and related spaces (art gallery and rooftop restaurant).
I spent a considerable amount of time studying building massing during our Boston Intensive. This is an image of one of those massing study pages. I learned that the existing building appeared to be massed appropriately for this site. The massing of the new building should be similar to this existing building. A larger mass would start to dominate the corner with the new old south church, library and square. A smaller mass would not provide a terminus for the block and expose the side of the building to the north.
I have included an untouched image of my study model set into its context. I learned about the relationships between the floors of the building, the vertical park and the square. This information was utilized in revising my design in a manner that was more appropriate for the project. I found the model frustrating because I couldn't share this information with the studio. Pictures of the inside of the model were too blurry to be of any use. I also couldn't model the roof canopy structure appropriately because of model material constraints. It served its purpose as a massing study and had an impact on my design.


The following three images are bubble diagrams for different uses identified within the technology store consisting of the casual visitor, someone interested in purchase and a sales person. This taught me (along with the Theory class site visit the first night in Boston) that there is an almost endless amount of processes taking place in this store. The store layout must remain flexible to meet the ever changing demands being imposed on the design.



The following image is the original view study completed during the intensive. This image is used in the site analysis blog. It portrays the view from the site as well as into the site. It also studies the view from a vehicular perspective.

No comments: